Sunday, June 29, 2008

Grading System

Grades are numbers out of 20. A flat-out passing grade for a single class is 10/20 or above. If you get this grade, you'll never have to see that class again.

Also, there is the magic of the "moyen." When you pick your electives, keep this in mind! Classes that are blocked together (such as required classes) will be averaged. If the average is 10/20 or above, you won't have to retake an exam even if you did not technically pass that particular course.

EXAMPLE: Droit Intl Public, Droit Intl Privé, and Droit Européen are required classes for the M1 droit intl et européen. Let's say one gets the following grades : 10/20, 12/20, and 8/20 respectively. Although 8/20 is not a passing grade for Droit Européen, one does NOT need to retake the exam during the rattrapages because the average is 10 between that block of classes.

NOTE: Although it was not well clarified in the past, my understanding is that WCL does NOT give credit when grades are under 10/20, even if UPX considers them passed because of the average.

Unlike in the US, failing exams (under 10/20, see Grading System entry) is quite common in France. My guess is around 30-40% of students have to retake at least one exam.

When you retake an exam, the new grade completely takes the place of the old grade, for better or for worse.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

HI,
I know this is a bit random, but I'm a third-year law student (not at American U) who has applied (and been accepted) to American's exchange program at Paris-Nanterre for next semester. I had so many unanswered questions in order to make my decision, and just happened upon your blog (thank god!!) while googling a U-Paris Nanterre contact. Needless to say, I have many! =) I'd appreciate any and all information/advice you have, if you have time! I know you're busy, so don't worry if you don't.

I'm still trying to decide whether this program is something that I should do. I'm considering practicing immigration law, or would at least like to have an international component to whatever career I choose to pursue (even I don't strictly "practice law"). My primary concern is that, despite being a French major (and having spent several months as a language assistant in France after graduating from college), "studying law" in French is of a much different nature. What was your background in French before you went - did you have any difficulty keeping up with lectures or passing your exams? Would you say this is an opportunity you're glad you took? Also, did you attend any kind of orientation program beforehand? When did you pick your classes? All I've received from U Paris is my "attestation d'echange" with a Feb 3 date to show up at the batiment des services internationales. (Is that when I pick my classes?) My other main concern is the final exam schedule (late May/June) - as I'm graduating this spring, I must return by the middle of May and was wondering whether they would accommodate a flexible/earlier exam schedule. Any and all advice you have is much, much appreciated!!!

Thanks so much!